March 31, 2008

The reason I took Dutch

Through the years, whenever I choose to reveal my darkest educational secret, people have asked me why oh why did I ever take Dutch as a language course at the university? Good question. I really don't know. I was bored, I liked the Dutch and enjoyed Amsterdam? No good?

Well, today I discovered the true reason to why I managed six months of Dutch at Göteborg university. Close to the office there is a little cheese shop called "More than cheese" (Mer än ost, Olskrokstorget). The owner is a very tall (of course) Dutch guy who's obviously really into cheese. He's knows his way around old Goudas and always give me advise on what wine to enjoy with my newly purchased Klaver. I like the guy and he's part of the whole cheese buying experience. The neat part of it is not the guy or the really sweet Gouda though, it's the wrapping around each piece of cheese.

Conclusion: if I had NOT taken Dutch I would NOT be able to read the cute little instructions on the wrapping on how to cut your cheese. Sure, I can look at the drawing since I'm not visually impaired or anything, but the small joy for me is to be able to read, pronounce and actually comprehend the content of the instructions knowing that most people can't. Because they didn't take Dutch at the university. ;)


Chibi prefers the really old Gouda, Klaver comes in second place.

No comments: